Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hippie Crafting

I think crafting is cool, although I seem to not do a lot of it. I'm actually not very creative. Mainly I just copy other people.

The other thing is that a lot of crafting supplies aren't eco friendly. A lot of re-do projects now-a-days use things like spray paint (for furniture and housewares) and nail polish (for re-doing jewelry and fine details on other crap).

Take this, for example:

Credit to TwoButterflies
A fairly innocent bracelet, completely "painted" with nail polish. Y'know, the stuff with toxic chemicals that we all want on our fashion accessories.

I mean, it's not a bad bracelet. The good part is you saved a bracelet from the landfill by buying it from a thrift shop.

The bad part is the waste from the nail polish is only "helping" this place:


But I'm biased. I own nailpolish, and although I haven't used any of it in like six months, I still have flecks of Ocean Blue on my left big toe nail. Also, not to long ago I had this copper ring, and it totally turned my finger green. So I coated the inside of it with nail polish as the internet told me to, and this is what happened:

 IT TRIED TO KILL MY FINGER.

  And I know just because I've had a couple bad experiences with the stuff doesn't mean I should totally give up on it....

But then there's this:
A kid in a sea of nail polish bottles. I mean... OBVIOUSLY.


But really. That stuff is EVIL. I'm keen to use up the rest of what I have (the two bottles), when/if the time arises. 

I also have this free art painting I picked up that I'd really, really, really like to have the frame painted silver on, but every time I want to go buy the paint I end up guilt tripping myself because I'd be contributing to the world's trash problem.

...Hippie problems, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment