Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Metal Penguin that Laid Eggs

My brother has been helping out with the house this week and I guess mentioned offhand that one day he was too lazy to collect the eggs from the chickens, so he just chucked them.

I didn't think he was serious.

But I went down to the coop today to survey the amount of chicken poop lying about for making a batch of manure tea and saw a bunch of eggs lying around randomly like easter eggs.

First I was very confused, trying to figure out if the chickens got out and were laying out there? But that didn't make sense. Some of them were broken, and some weren't.

I decided to take them up to the house and ask my brother. He said that he threw them out. I'm not sure why he didn't just leave the eggs there and collect twice as much tomorrow -- maybe he just wanted to throw something?

I set them outside on the porch in this (mostly dead) potted plant with a penguin in it.

 Less-than-quality picture from my iPhone

I think I'll try crushing them and then adding them to the really small compost heap I have going in the backyard.

There used to be more in it, but not too long after we started composting, we got the chickies, so we have been giving them all the veggie scraps instead. They seem to produce more when we supplement their feed.

Not sure what I will do for composting - Right now it's just a black plastic composter from a yard sale and with some old rotten food, a broken egg on top, and a giant rock (I asked my dad to put some dirt in there with his tractor thing, but I guess I should have mentioned that twenty pound rocks are kinda hard to compost)

We don't generate enough food waste worth composting (I tend to eat most parts of the vegetables, and left over scraps get fed to the chickens) but I want some supplement for the garden this year, so I am looking into seaweed tea and manure tea. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment